Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Thoughts on the recent deluge of Star Trek TOS fan films

    Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II; Star Trek: Continues; Starship Farragut; Starship Exeter, etc. 

    Those are just the names of a few of the 1960's Star Trek based fan series. For whatever reasons people seem intent upon reliving the same characters and designs ethos' over and over again; I'd love to see a Star Trek based series with it's own unique look and style. Now Star Trek: Renegades seems to have done so, but it is post-TNG which would account for the differences in appearance. Don't misunderstand, I love the look and feel of the original (And I think the best) Star Trek series. But enough is enough, I'm starting to tire with seeing the same ship layouts and the same tired old characters being played by people interpreting what had been perfected fifty years ago.

I know I have the option to not watch them but I look at all the money, time, effort and love that has gone into recreating the original sets and wonder - could they have made more of all of that if they'd stretched their creative legs? Create something! Not recreate. Now, I wouldn't mind seeing a minor redesign; keep the essential elements and change the rest. Does every fan series have to be set on a Constitution class starship? Does every Captain have to be Kirk?! I've seen Kirk, I've seen the original Starship Enterprise. Show me something that predated TOS with new characters with their own styles and idiosyncrasies!

I guess I'm just burned out. I'm starved for Star Trek and the only outlets are a shitty film series and an overabundance of TOS-centric fan series. 

Why not go out and put my money where my mouth is?!

I can't afford to do so. I would love to create my own Star Trek, I simply don't have the capability. No money and most importantly; no space.

Please, if you're reading this and considering making your own Star Trek series? Consider setting it in the familiar; branch out; be different!

- Spaced out blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment